Heather Hill, CD(DONA), Certified Holistic Doula, CBE, BSW, RSW
Doula & Photographer serving Edmonton, Sherwood Park and area
Prior to “doula-ing”, I worked as a social worker for 12 years.
I found my passion for birth as a became a mother to three beautiful children. My first two children were born in hospital, naturally with minor interventions. Life shifted at 4am when I woke to my water breaking. Naive and inexperienced, my husband and I raced to the hospital to discover that I was not “really” in labour. My doctor soon had us on a path to birth which included augmentation of labour with IV oxytocin, and continuous monitoring. My daughter was born quickly and safely, but I learned so much about what I did not know through this process. Pregnant with my second child 10 months later, I spent time preparing for the journey of labour and birth. More information to support my decision making and practice around comfort tools were tremendously helpful in my birthing time. My third beauty was born at home, assisted by our two midwives, my husband and our dearest friend. After experiencing my ideal birth, where I felt completely informed, supported and at ease, I was drawn to birth work. My goal in doula work is that you are empowered and supported, creating a positive birth experience.
I am a Certified Birth Doula with DONA International CD(DONA). I completed my training in February 2011, and received my certification in August 2012. In April 2018 I also completed my certification as a Holistic Doula with the Matrona Institute.
I have attended over 150 births, and work with a maximum of 3 families per month.
I am a current member with the Doula Association of Edmonton, DONA International, Canadian Birth Photographers, and Alberta College of Registered Social workers.
I have taken a Lamaze based Childbirth Educator Program. I co-teach a childbirth education workshop with Doula Care in Edmonton, currently located at Edmonton Midwifery Cooperative. I am also a member of the Village Birth Collective in Edmonton, Alberta.
Heather Hill has experience with:
- Hospital Birth
- Planned Home Birth
- Birth Centre
- Hospital birth after a transfer of care from home or birth centre
- Cesarean Birth
- Vaginal Birth
- VBAC (Vaginal Birth after cesarean)
- Unplanned Home Birth
- Birth after IVF, fertility issues or baby loss
- Medical Complications for mother (Diabetes, high blood pressure, etc)
- Medical complications for baby (downs syndrome, cleft pallet, placental issues, heart complications, breathing concerns at birth requiring NICU support)
- Experience working with a variety of medical caregivers, including Midwives, General Practitioners and Obstetricians
- Multiples (twins)
- Single parents
- Culturally diverse families
- Parents experiencing perinatal mood disorders (depression or anxiety).
- Mental health concerns (depression, anxiety, mood disorders, eating disorders)
- LBGTQ+ Families
- Certified Doula with DONA International since February 2011
- Certified Holistic Doula with The Matrona Institute, March 2018
- Lamaze Trained Childbirth Educator, Douglas College, 2013
- Lactation Educator (LE), trained with CAPPA June 2018
- Bachelor of Social Work Degree, 1999 & RSW (registered social worker)
- Photography Trainings: Canadian Photography Learning Centre approximately 70 hours of training since 2015 at various workshops
- 200Hour Hatha Yoga Teacher Certification (Yoga for Today) 2020
- 85Hour Pre/Postnatal Yoga Teacher Certification (Mamata Yoga) 2020
- Hyonobabies HypnoDoula May 2020
- Member of the Doula Association of Edmonton
- Member of the Canadian Birth Photographers
- Spinning Babies Workshop 2015 & 2019
- Acupressure for Labour and Birth
- Rebozo Workshop 2015
- Peanut Ball Workshop 2018
- Experience with Baby Wearing techniques
- Breastfeeding Essentials 2013
- Protecting the Pelvic Floor and Pelvis during Pregnancy and Delivery 2014
EDUCATION & TRAINING
CAPTURE EVERY MOMENT
Continue telling your story with birth story photographer. From fresh baby photos to family photos, never miss a moment.